Chapters 9-12

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chapters 9-12

Post by Samantha on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:22 pm

Our discussion of chapters 9-12 begins on Friday!

Chapter 9: Grim Defeat
Chapter 10: The Marauder's Map
Chapter 11: The Firebolt
Chapter 12: The Patronus

Samantha
Admin

View user profile http://hppoa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapters 9-12

Post by Samantha on Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:38 pm

Chapter 9:
I love that the students were talking back to Snape. I understand how that would be rude to a teacher, but I saw it as them standing up for themselves. I don't think this is something they would have done in Potions class, but I think they like and respect Lupin so much that they feel more confident in wanting to maintain his level of teaching.
I wish they would have had more of Oliver Wood in the movies! I think there could have been a lot of great moments with him!

Chapter 10:
When Harry's broom is destroyed, I think he's more upset about that than he is about the dementors or any worry about Sirius. I think Harry views flying as a symbol of his magic ability, and having that taken away is like crushing part of his identity. He even uses "the first time I rode a broom" as one of his happy memories later with Lupin.
Is Draco the class clown of third year Slytherin? It seems like an odd role for him, given the prestige of his family, but he's been described several times now as making fun of Harry to make those around him laugh.
I'm surprised that Lupin would undermine Snape by canceling the homework he assigned. I mean, given what we know about their history it's not that surprising, but it seems like as a teacher that's just not something you do.
How do you think Dumbledore kept it out of the Daily Prophet that Sirius Black had broken into Hogwarts?
We also got an answer here to our earlier question, Why doesn't Ron know about Sirius' relationship to James and Lily. "The worst he did isn't widely known." Do you think it's realistic that that wasn't really reported on?
I liked that Sirius offered to raise Harry on his own. I understand why that couldn't happen, but it's nice to imagine how different Harry's life could have been.

Chapter 11:
The scene with Harry looking through his photo album for a picture of Sirius was so vivid. I wish that part had been in the movie.
I think it says a lot about Harry's character that he puts aside yelling at Hagrid when he sees how distraught he is: "Though Harry had by no means forgotten about Black, he couldn't brood constantly on revenge if he wanted to help Hagrid win his case..."

Chapter 12:
It was heartbreaking to hear Lily and James' last words. I liked that Harry had conflicting reactions to it, with obviously being upset, but also wanting to hear their voices, even in such horrible circumstances.

Samantha
Admin

View user profile http://hppoa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BaronCognito on Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:10 am

Chapter 9:
I don't think Ron was standing up for himself when he was talking back to Snape. It seemed like "You're being really unfair to Hermoine" with him.

Chapter 10:
I entirely agree with you about the broom.
Draco is a bully here. He's not doing this to have people laugh with him, or at him, the way a class clown would. He doesn't want laughter to improve the mood of the people laughing, he wants laughter to make Harry feel worse. Draco is not described as being physically imposing, so he has to use other methods to bully people.
I don't think it's entirely out of place. It's a homework about a subject they weren't intended to be studying yet. I will admit that, with Defense of the Dark Arts, the lessons don't seem like they would be building off each other in the same way they would in any class I've taken, so it might not be entirely inappropriate for a teacher to just decide "Okay, now we're going to learn this thing."
That said, I also thing that Lupin is the type of teacher who wouldn't ask someone to substitute for him without providing a lesson plan, and if Snape is petty enough to ignore the lesson plan, then Lupin might feel slighted enough to decide to ignore the homework.
I don't think Dumbldore kept it out of the Daily Prophet, I think Fudge did. I think that the wizarding government does the best it can to keep things quiet. I think this ties into why the story about Black was also not widely reported on. They just wanted all the mess swept under the rug as quickly as possible, where it would then fester for a decade.

Chapter 11:
I'm sure it'd be hard in any case to stay mad at Hagrid.

Chapter 12:
I concur.

BaronCognito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top